Smith & Nephew launches new FLOW 90(TM) Wand at ISAKOS joining its innovative collection of COBLATION(TM) technology and shoulder repair portfolios
LONDON, May 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Smith & Nephew (LSE: SN, NYSE: SNN), the global medical technology business, today announces the U.S. launch of the WEREWOLF™ FLOW 90 Wand with FLOW~IQ™ Technology. Designed for use in the shoulder but indicated for use on all soft tissue types, the 90-degree wand was developed to use with the WEREWOLF COBLATION System.
Smith & Nephew's patented COBLATION technology has been shown to deliver faster patient recovery3 and better long-term patient outcomes1,2 compared to mechanical debridement in the knee according to a level 1 randomized controlled trial carried out over 10 years.
"FLOW 90 was fantastic. It excels at rapid bulk tissue removal while remaining very precise. FLOW 90's triangular tip also enables you to do excellent dissection," commented Dr. Scott Trenhaile, Assistant Professor, Rush University Medical Center. "This combination of speed, control and dissection is unmatched by any other radio-frequency device, and is an exciting addition to the Smith & Nephew portfolio."
"We believe the FLOW 90 is quite simply the best wand Smith & Nephew has ever made and we're confident our customers will feel the same way once they experience it and see the results," said Brad Cannon, President of Sports Medicine & ENT, Smith & Nephew. "Our unique COBLATION technology continues to be the industry leading choice for arthroscopy and the FLOW 90 Wand is just the latest exciting addition to our growing portfolio of comprehensive shoulder solutions."
COBLATION technology creates and applies an energy field called 'glow discharge plasma', which acts to ablate molecules in the tissue. COBLATION technology operates at lower temperatures than other radio frequency-based technologies,6 allowing for precise removal of soft tissue with minimal damage to untargeted tissue.7
For more information visit: www.werewolfcoblation.com
- Spahn, G, Klinger HM, Mückley T, Hofmann GO. Four-Year Results From a Randomized Controlled Study of Knee Chondroplasty With Concomitant Medial Meniscectomy: Mechanical Debridement Versus Radiofrequency Chondroplasty. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Vol 26, No 9 (September, Suppl 1), 2010: pp S73-S80. DOI 10.1016/j.arthro.2010.02.030.
- Spahn G, Hofmann GO, von Engelhardt LV. Mechanical Debridement Versus Radiofrequency in Knee Chondroplasty with Concomitant Medial Meniscectomy: 10-year Results from a Randomized Controlled Study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. DOI 10.1007/s00167-015-3810-6. Epub 2015 October 1.
- Spahn G, Kahl E, Mückley T, Hofmann GO, Klinger HM. Arthroscopic Knee Chondroplasty using a Bipolar Radiofrequency-based Device Compared to Mechanical Shaver: Results of a Prospective, Randomized, Controlled Study. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc (2008) 16:565–573. DOI 10.1007/s00167-008-0506-1. Epub 2008 March 8.
- Gharaibeh, M., Szomor A., Chen D.B. & MacDessi, S.J. 2017. Cartilage. A Retrospective Study Assessing Safety and Efficacy of Bipolar Radiofrequency Ablation for Knee Chondral Lesions. Cartilage. 2017 Apr 1. [Epub ahead of print]
- Voloshin, I., Morse K.R., Allred, C.D., Bissell, S.A., Maloney, M.D. & DeHaven, K.E. Arthroscopic evaluation of radiofrequency chondroplasty of the knee. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2007; 35: 1702-1707.
- Woloszko J, Kwende M, Stalder K. COBLATION in Otolaryngology. Proceedings of the SPIE. 2003; 341: 341-352.
- Amiel D, Ball S, Tasto J. Chondrocyte Viability and Metabolic Activity After Treatment of Bovine Articular Cartilage With Bipolar Radiofrequency: An In Vitro Study. Arthroscopy. 2004; 5(20): 503-510
About Smith & Nephew
Smith & Nephew is a portfolio medical technology business with leadership positions in Orthopaedics, Advanced Wound Management and Sports Medicine. Smith & Nephew has more than 16,000 employees and a presence in more than 100 countries. Annual sales in 2018 were $4.9 billion. Smith & Nephew is a member of the FTSE100 (LSE:SN, NYSE:SNN). For more information about Smith & Nephew, please visit our corporate website www.smith-nephew.com and follow us on Twitter, LinkedIn or Facebook.
This document may contain forward-looking statements that may or may not prove accurate. For example, statements regarding expected revenue growth and trading margins, market trends and our product pipeline are forward-looking statements. Phrases such as "aim", "plan", "intend", "anticipate", "well-placed", "believe", "estimate", "expect", "target", "consider" and similar expressions are generally intended to identify forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from what is expressed or implied by the statements. For Smith & Nephew, these factors include: economic and financial conditions in the markets we serve, especially those affecting health care providers, payers and customers; price levels for established and innovative medical devices; developments in medical technology; regulatory approvals, reimbursement decisions or other government actions; product defects or recalls or other problems with quality management systems or failure to comply with related regulations; litigation relating to patent or other claims; legal compliance risks and related investigative, remedial or enforcement actions; disruption to our supply chain or operations or those of our suppliers; competition for qualified personnel; strategic actions, including acquisitions and dispositions, our success in performing due diligence, valuing and integrating acquired businesses; disruption that may result from transactions or other changes we make in our business plans or organisation to adapt to market developments; and numerous other matters that affect us or our markets, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or reputational nature. Please refer to the documents that Smith & Nephew has filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission under the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, including Smith & Nephew's most recent annual report on Form 20-F, for a discussion of certain of these factors. Any forward-looking statement is based on information available to Smith & Nephew as of the date of the statement. All written or oral forward-looking statements attributable to Smith & Nephew are qualified by this caution. Smith & Nephew does not undertake any obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statement to reflect any change in circumstances or in Smith & Nephew's expectations.
™ Trademark of Smith & Nephew. Certain marks registered US Patent and Trademark Office.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/smith--nephew-launches-new-flow-90-wand-at-isakos-joining-its-innovative-collection-of-coblation-technology-and-shoulder-repair-portfolios-300848596.html
SOURCE Smith & Nephew
Upcoming Life Sciences Events
- September 2019
- Boston: 9th Annual American Drug Delivery & Formulation Summit
- Malmo: NLS Days 2019
- Boston: Redefining Early Stage Investments (RESI)